Friday, August 17, 2012

You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression


This past Sunday Paul Ryan gave an interview with Brit Hume of Fox News, a relatively friendly venue.  Though I’m not a Brit Hume fan, I was excited to see the interview as I assumed it would be a refreshing change from the rehearsed answers, obfuscations and talking points that we see on a daily basis in these campaigns.  But I was sorely disappointed. 

Ryan, who normally speaks with refreshing candor, sounded like he had just spent the past two hours cramming for a course on “How to Avoid Giving Straight Answers in an Interview.”  It was maddening to watch.  Clearly, he had been given a political makeover by the Romney people and prepped to use scripted answers.  Apparently the Romney folks are so worried Ryan might say something that deviates or conflicts with “the plan” that they thought it worth stifling the trademark honesty and openness that Ryan owes his popularity to.  Do I really need to say what a mistake I believe they’re making?

If the experience with Sarah Palin taught us nothing else we should have learned that the first few days and weeks of a candidate’s introduction to those who don’t know them is a critical time.  People not previously familiar with Ryan (and even those who are) are beginning to tune in and pay attention, and many will make their assessment – like the old adage tells us – within the first few minutes.  Is this really the first impression the Romney camp wants voters to have of Ryan – that he’s a typical politician who dances around questions and recites scripted talking points?  And in Ryan’s case the damage is going to be exacerbated by the fact that expectations for Ryan are being driven up by a lot of the talking heads out there.  Nothing sours people like a person’s failure to live up to heighten expectations. 

I am a believer, as much as anyone is, in the importance of strategy.  But when strategy comes at the loss of substance, nothing is really gained.

6 comments:

  1. I did not see the interview, but I believe your post since I read something this past week where Romney is working with Ryan to "Play it safe". Not sure what that meant, but your post may explain what they are doing to Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what I hate most is the assumption that we are all too stupid to recognize the rehearsed answers for what they are.

      Delete
  2. unfortunately, there are many stupid people who are influenced by the misinformation in tv commercials. I think they are afraid to make a gaffe, but heck Biden makes a gaffe every other day and that does not seem to hurt Obama - of course the media probably does not cover it. I am a straight forward person, and it sounds like you are too, and we want to hear like it is, not all these political talking points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too missed that interview but I understand the reluctance to say anything. Remember what the media did to Palin. There is no such thing as friendly media when you're a Republican, maybe Brit wouldn't have bit his hand but there are many out there that will stop at nothing to go for his jugular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Jim,

    You said, “Remember what the media did to Palin.”

    That’s exactly my point. As much as I admire Sarah Palin, she didn’t do so well in those first few weeks following her introduction at the convention. I can’t say for certain if that was her fault, the fault of her handlers or a combination of both but the facts are the facts – people formed very polarized impressions of her right away and it hurt.

    Chris Christy pretty much speaks his mind and it’s made him a star to conservatives. Ryan should take head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm another who didn't see that interview, and some time has passed since then. What I'm seeing is that Ryan seems to be pretty much speaking his mind --at least now -- and having a very positive effect on the campaign.

    ReplyDelete